Any piece of furniture that facilitates sitting for a long time should be chosen keeping in mind various posture and pain-related areas.
Your sofa is one of them.
You may have the best looking sofa in the world but you may not be able to enjoy sitting on it if it’s not made as per your individual needs.
Health issues like backache are examples of specific individual needs.
Let’s help you find a sofa that will serve you properly.
General Usage of Sofa
Sofas are used for sitting. But they’re used for sitting while doing something. Depending on where you intend to position them, they have different purposes.
Each of these purposes is related to the criteria you’ll keep in mind while choosing a sofa, especially if you or someone in your family suffers from backache.
Broadly, sofas are used in the living room. And they help people fulfill certain specific objectives:
1. Sofa Positioning for Together Time:
Some people or families tend to have a lot of company over. Or the family itself is big. In such a situation, the sofa tends to be placed in a manner that enables face to face conversations or eating together.
2. Sofa Positioning for Entertainment Time:
In some families, sofas tend to be organized around the entertainment unit. The family members position the sofa to be able to watch TV together.
This is the situation in which people tend to sit for a longer stretch. And this is where the long hours add to backache or begin to cause it.
The Solution: 6 Things You Must Check While Selecting a Sofa
There are a few things you can keep in mind while you go to select the sofa if you’re specifically looking at the health aspects of it:
1. Know the purpose. Would you be using it for holding gatherings or being together? Or would you be using it to consume entertainment? The latter will require you to be extra cautious about your sedentary habits in general.
2. Check if you can sit upright on the sofa without sinking into the seat all too easily. This is important especially if you’re investing in a sofa to be able to watch entertainment for long.
3. Check if your legs fold at a 90-degree angle when you sit on the sofa. A lower or a higher angle indicates that the sofa is not right for your height.
4. Check if you can comfortably leave your feet flat on the floor while being seated on the sofa. If you have to sit with only the front portion of your feet touching the floor, the sofa might not be suitable for your height.
5. Check if the edge of the seat is too close to the back of your knees. Lack of space between the two can make it uncomfortable for you to sit for long.
6. Go for sofas that have a tall backrest and a mechanism to help you recline if your main usage is going to be watching something for long hours. The tall backrest and reclining option will give your neck some rest.
These 6 pointers will help you select the best sofa, especially if you or your family members suffer from chronic backache, while you work on the core cause of the backache.
The right sofa can surely help in the meanwhile.
Let us know about your sofa buying experience.